Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Underneath 2009 Newbery Honor


The Underneath by Kathi Appelt is a heart wrenching/heart warming story about a hound, a calico cat, and her two kittens. The hound offers shelter to the family in the Underneath. He knows they will be safe as long as they stay in the Underneath. But, the kittens are curious and this small act of curiosity starts a chain of events that takes the reader on an astonishing, emotional roller coaster-love and loss and betrayal and redemption.

I loved the writing, it is lyrical. I found myself rereading paragraphs just to absorb the language.

What I did not like about the book was the brutality. When Gar Face takes the calico cat and her kitten, my heart pounded with fear and anger! How he treats the animals is pure evil. I hated him and that was what made the writing so genuine and clear. Her words caused me to feel so many different emotions for the characters, the setting, the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment