Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Street Rhymes Around the World


Street Rhymes Around the World, edited by Jane Yolen, is a collection of counting game, circle game, and jump rope rhymes from seventeen different countries that include the United States, Greece, Brazil, China, Zambia, and India. Each rhyme is written in the language of the country as well as english. The rhymes have native illustrations to help enhance the rhymes.

I believe this would be a a great addition to any library collection because I think children are interested in how children from other countries play. They like to connect to children from other ethnic backgrounds. So much of childhood are the songs and games that children play. I know when we have had children from other countries attend out school while their parents attend CU I have watched our students learn the games and songs from the visiting school. I also see the students from other countries mimicking US games.




No comments:

Post a Comment